20 Bible Verses to Comfort a Heavy Heart
We are living in some very wicked times. When you turn the television on there is always bad news. Crimes in community, police brutality, political scandals and chaos. Then we have the trials and pain that happens in our very own lives. The heaviness of depression, sadness, loss, death, illness, or dealing with the aftermath of the sins of those close to you, or perhaps our own secret sins we battle with. Whatever the case, suffering and affliction can begin to weigh on our hearts and cause us to carry such heavy a burden that we find our faith wavering and our hearts becoming hardened.
That is why I am so grateful for God's Word, that is my constant reminder that our momentary afflictions only prepare us for the eternal glory that is to come when we are standing before our Creator.
What is weighing on your heart today? What is burdening your spirit? When we go to to God's Word we will always find comfort, because God does understand, and can empathize even more than we can imagine.
- The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. — Psalm 34:18
- Fear not, for I am with you… I will strengthen you, I will help you. — Isaiah 41:10
- The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. — Psalm 23
- Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. — Psalm 55:22
- One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock. — Psalm 27:4-5
- The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. — Psalm 9:9
- God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. — Psalm 46:1
- Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. — 1 Peter 5:6-7
- For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him. — Psalm 22:24
- You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? — Psalm 56:8
- I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. — Psalm 116:1-2
- The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him. — Nahum 1:7
- I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes. Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. The insolent utterly deride me, but I do not turn away from your law. When I think of your rules from of old, I take comfort, O LORD. — Psalm 119:48-52
- For the Lord will not cast off forever, but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men. — Lamentations 3:31-32
- And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.”I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you…” — John 14:16-18
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. — John 14:26-27
Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. — Psalm 30:5
You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again. — Psalm 71:20-21
It is of the LORD’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. — Lamentations 3:22-23
The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. — Proverbs 18:10
What are your favorite Scriptures to run to when you have a heavy heart? Share in the comments below.