"God, why do I have to go through this?"
"Why are you doing this to me? You don't understand how this feels."
How many time have we said these things in our lifetime? For me it has been plenty of times, and each time I was going through the motions screaming at Jesus that He didn't understand—I was wrong.
Jesus does understand what life is like for each and every one us. What we are going through is nothing new to Him. He has been through it all. He doesn't ask anything of us that He wasn't willing to do Himself, and He promises to be with us every step of the way.
Here are 9 reasons why Jesus understands what life is like for us:
- Jesus knew temptation. And He stayed in the wilderness forty days and, being tempted all the while by Satan; and He was with the wild beasts, and the angels ministered to Him continually. - Mark 1:13 AMP
- Jesus knew poverty. And Jesus replied to him, Foxes have holes and the birds of the air have lodging places, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head. - Matthew 8:20
- Jesus knew frustration. And having made a lash (a whip) of cords, He drove them all out of the temple—both the sheep and the oxen—spilling and scattering the brokers’ money and upsetting and tossing around their trays (their stands). 16 Then to those who sold the doves He said, Take these things away (out of here)! Make not My Father’s house a house of merchandise (a marketplace, a sales shop)! - John 2:15-16
- Jesus knew weariness. And Jacob’s well was there. So Jesus, tired as He was from His journey, sat down [to rest] by the well. It was then about the sixth hour (about noon). - John 4:6
- Jesus knew disappointment. O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who continue to kill the prophets and to stone those who are sent to you! How often I have desired and yearned to gather your children together [around Me], as a hen [gathers] her young under her wings, but you would not! - Luke 13:34
- Jesus knew rejection. After this, many of His disciples drew back (returned to their old associations) and no longer accompanied Him. 67 Jesus said to the Twelve, Will you also go away? [And do you too desire to leave Me?] - John 6:66-67
Jesus knew sorrow. Then He said to them, My soul is very sad and deeply grieved, so that I am almost dying of sorrow. Stay here and keep awake and keep watch with Me. - Matthew 26:38
Jesus knew ridicule. And they struck His head with a staff made of a [bamboo-like] reed and spat on Him and kept bowing their knees in homage to Him.20 And when they had [finished] making sport of Him, they took the purple [robe] off of Him and put His own clothes on Him. And they led Him out [of the city] to crucify Him. - Mark 15:19-20
- Jesus knew loneliness. And about the ninth hour (three o’clock) Jesus cried with a loud voice, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?—that is, My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me? - Matthew 27:46
About the Author
Carmen Miller is the founder of Whole Magazine. She is a city girl at heart who spent most of her life chasing empty substitutes for Jesus. She tried to find her worth in things and people, only leaving her emptier. Spending much of her life entangled in sin, Carmen experienced much brokenness from teen pregnancy, domestic violence, and infidelity. Today, she is committed to leading other broken women to wholeness through the Gospel and equipping them with the tools to walk with God for a lifetime. Carmen lives in Dallas, Texas, with her handsome husband and eight-year-old twins who keep her on her toes daily.