For the past few posts, I've included ways for you to achieve beautiful, glowy skin by using makeup. I figured it was time for me to include ways for you, and myself, to achieve glowy skin through skincare. I've heard so many of my girlfriends talk about how they don't really wash their faces or moisturize their skin and then complain in the same sentence about how broken out their faces are, how dry their skin is, etc. Our skin is the largest organ on our bodies and it's crucial to take care of it. For years I've struggled with acne, and although the struggle is not completely over yet, I've tried and tested so many products and techniques to achieving beautiful, healthy skin. So no matter what skin issue you may have, whether it be acne, dry skin, oily skin, or whatever else it may be, hopefully you will find some of these tips useful in achieving the beautiful skin you've always wanted.
- Back to the Basics. You've heard these next few tips a million times, so I knew there was no use in going on and on about them. But they are important. The two most important concepts of getting beautiful skin is health and consistency. Make sure you are getting enough sleep every night, eating healthy, exercising, and staying away from smoking and drinking too much. It's just a given that health comes from within, so whenever you're not healthy on the inside, the outside shows it. Also, drinking lots of water and staying hydrated is an absolute must. I learned this the hard way. There's no way I was about to trade in my mason jar full of sweet tea for a glass of plain water, but when I did, my skin almost completely cleared up. I cannot stress the importance of making sure your body and skin stays hydrated.
- Keep It Simple. Maintaining a consistent skin care routine does not have to be complicated. I like to stick to a three-step routine every morning and night that takes a maximum of five minutes to do. I cleanse, tone, and moisturize. It's that easy. Of course, if you have any other products you like to use or need to use for a certain issue, throw that in the mix too, but I really believe this is enough to maintain pretty skin. The key here is to stay consistent with the routine. It'll do you no good to skip nights and do this every once in a while. Also, you've heard this way too many times, but do not ever go to bed with makeup on. This just gives your skin lots of oil and dirt to clog up the pores and void your skin of its ability to breathe and stay hydrated. Remember, clean and moisturized skin will always love you back.
- Scrub It Off. One of my favorite things ever to do in my skin care routine is to exfoliate. Exfoliating the skin scrubs off all the dead skin cells, dirt, and oil that clogs up our skin and makes it look more dull. My skin instantly feels cleaner, softer, smoother, and it even feels like it can breathe a little better after. My favorite scrub is by St. Ives and can be found at drugstores for only a few dollars. I scrub for one minute after cleansing my face. It's a little step I add in that takes just one minute and has amazing benefits. Try it. I know you'll like it.
- Let It Go. I've been mentioning how important it is to let the skin breathe, and a great way to do this is by having a rest day. Take just one day to put no makeup on and let your skin take a little breather. I do this pretty much any day I can find. You may not be able to find a day every week to go without the makeup with your busy schedule and all, but if you do, leave out the makeup. And let's be honest here. As much as I love makeup, there's nothing I love more than lounging around with no makeup on, and I know I'm not the only one. It's glorious. It's freedom. It's everything.
- Behind The Mask. This is a fun one. I don't know any girl who doesn't love a little pampering now and then, and face masks are the way to do it. And just like the other tips I've included, it doesn't have to be difficult. In fact, you can whip up a face mask in your home in a matter of minutes. I have two favorites that are my go-to masks. Any time my skin is feeling a little dry or just needs a little extra care, I mix milk, honey, and oatmeal together. In no time, my skin is radiant, creamy, and soft. For the second mask I love to make, I do not lie: it is a miracle worker. It's just made of two ingredients: honey and cinnamon. I find this one works the best at clearing up acne- especially those difficult hormonal breakouts. I kid you not, I've had a face full of blemishes and woke up the next morning with completely clear skin after using this mask. It's that good. Any time I use either of these masks, I just leave it on however long I wish. Many people would say ten minutes is long enough, but I've found far better results from both masks when I leave them on longer. Whatever floats your boat.
I think it's most important for me to mention that I completely understand what it's like to have difficult skin. So if you suffer from a skin issue like me, just remember that it does not define how beautiful you are. It's not easy to look in the mirror and not like what you see, but you have to look and know that it's not everything. Just be patient, be kind to your skin, and take care of it. It may not be overnight, and it may not be over months, but eventually your skin will love you back. In the meantime, own your beauty and know that there is not a single woman out there who looks like you. As Dr. Seuss simply stated, "There is no one alive who is Youer than You." So go show the world how amazing you are.