The Winter Glow
The winter months are vastly approaching, and that means there is a new set of beauty issues to deal with. The most common beauty problem of cold weather is dry, cracked, dull skin. As the air gets more crisp and harsh, it strips our skin of its moisture and radiance. Luckily, I have a few easy tips to help you combat this pesky problem:
- Hydrate. We can apply lotions and creams all day long, but truly healthy and soft skin comes from the inside. Be sure to drink plenty of water everyday to hydrate not just your skin, but for your overall health as well. Also, by turning the heat on in our homes our skin gets parched. Use a humidifier to add moisture into the air to hydrate your skin as well.
- Cleanse+Exfoliate. Look for a mild cleanser that has a milky or creamy formula, and cleanse twice a day. Be sure to use lukewarm water. I know it's tempting to turn on that scolding hot water when we wash our faces or take our showers, but it scorches our skin and rids it of moisture. Also, remember to use an exfoliating scrub on your face and body 1-2 times a week. This will slough off all the dead cells and dry skin flakes that give our skin that dull, rough look.
- Moisturize. This one is obvious but super important. Try using a thicker, creamier formula for a face moisturizer and body lotion. The trick here is to apply lotions and cream 2-3 minutes after washing your face or showering in order to prevent your skin from drying out too quickly. And don't forget to moisturize the hands and use a good lip balm to prevent dry, cracked hands and lips as well. They not only look bad, but they can be super painful.
- Masks. A hydrating face mask is a great way to give your dry skin some love if it is especially troublesome, or if you just need a little pampering. There are plenty of masks on the market at all prices, or you can simply make your own. My favorite one in particular is mixing ground oats with milk and honey, leaving it on for twenty minutes or longer. There are tons of homemade mask recipes on Pinterest and the Internet, so mix and match as you please!
- Makeup. Swap your light, summery makeup formulas for more creamy ones- like in your foundation and blush. Be sure to avoid powder products as they will only make your skin look more dry and dull. Add a little moisturizing lip color and you'll look as vibrant and radiant as ever!