Remembering Billy Graham: 20 Memorable Quotes
This morning I woke up to the news that Rev. Billy Graham had passed away at his home in Montreal. He was 99 years old.
With my eyes filled with tears, I remembered how instrumental he was in my walk with the LORD. His love for God and the gospel was something I had never seen and probably will never see. Billy Graham was one of the greatest evangelists, and as Steven Lawson stated this morning upon finding out about Graham's passing, "There will never be another evangelist like Billy Graham."
Billy Graham preached the gospel for almost 80 years to over 215 million people, in over 400 Crusades, rallies, and more. He still reaches millions more through his archived messages, films, and 34 books he has written.
Steven Lawson called him "a man of integrity who lived above reproach." What a beautiful legacy he has left the world. I pray that Lord comforts the Graham family and all those who were impacted by his work.
My prayer for you and myself is that we will cultivate a love and a zeal for the gospel and share it with those dead outside of Christ. May we be unashamed of the gospel and proclaim it to the world so that those who may hear, will hear.
Here is a collection of some of Billy Graham's most powerful quotes.
- “If we are going to touch the people of our communities, we too must know their sorrows, feel for them in their temptations, stand with them in their heartbreaks.”
- “I didn’t say to the Lord, ‘I’m a preacher, and I’ve preached to many people.’ I said, ‘Oh Lord, I’m a sinner, and I still need Your forgiveness. I still need the cross.’ And I asked the Lord to give me peace in my heart, and He did—a wonderful peace that hasn’t left me.” (Cincinnati Crusade on June 24, 2002)
- “Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.”
- “All that I have been able to do, I owe to Jesus Christ. When you honor me, you are really honoring Him. Any honors I have received, I accept with a sense of inadequacy and humility, and I will reserve the right to hand all of these someday to Christ when I see Him face-to-face.” (Upon receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom, February 23, 1983)
- “So many people think that somehow I carry a revival around in a suitcase, and they just announce me and something happens—but that’s not true. This is the work of God, and the Bible warns that God will not share His glory with another. All the publicity that we receive sometimes frightens me because I feel that therein lies a great danger. If God should take His hand off me, I would have no more spiritual power. The whole secret of the success of our meetings is spiritual—it’s God answering prayer. I cannot take credit for any of it.”
- “There comes a moment when we all must realize that life is short, and in the end, the only thing that really counts is not how others see us, but how God sees us.” (Speaking at the funeral for President Richard Nixon)
- “I’m counting totally and completely on the Lord Jesus Christ, and not on Billy Graham. I’m not going to Heaven because I’ve read the Bible, nor because I’ve preached to a lot of people. I’m going to Heaven because of what Christ did.”
- “Someone asked me recently if I didn’t think God was unfair, allowing me to have medical problems when I have tried to serve Him faithfully. I replied that I did not see it that way at all. Suffering is part of the human condition, and it comes to us all. The key is how we react to it, either turning away from God in anger and bitterness or growing closer to Him in trust and confidence.”
- “The greatest need in the world is the transformation of human nature. We need a new heart that will not have lust and greed and hate in it. We need a heart filled with love and peace and joy, and that is why Jesus came into the world. He died on the cross to make peace between us and God and to change us from within by His Spirit. He can change you, if you will turn to Him in repentance and faith.”
- “I am convinced the greatest act of love we can ever perform for people is to tell them about God’s love for them in Christ.”
- My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world.
- God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.
- When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost.
- “God never takes away something from your life without replacing it with something better.”
- "The will of God will not take us where the grace of God cannot sustain us."
- “My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world.”
- “There is nothing wrong with men possessing riches. The wrong comes when riches possess men.”
- “A real Christian is the one who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip.”
- “Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion – it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.”
- “The cross shows us the seriousness of our sin—but it also shows us the immeasurable love of God.”